Sunday, April 1, 2007

2 hours of neighborliness

All I started out to do was pull a weed from the side of my yard. I noticed a 3 foot tumbleweed (russian thistle) in my elderly neighbors yard. Once it was gone, I started pulling some of their bigger weeds. When those were gone, the medium sized weeds seemed really big so they got pulled out, and then I started on the littlest ones, and then I ended up raking and trimming the tree, and before I knew it.....



One of the really great mid-century modern homes started to look pretty good again.



The POINT??? Instead of moaning and complaining about something... let's just lend a hand and offer some support. We have lots of neighbors who just can't get to their yards, or have health or age issues and need some help. We also have a lot of rentals in the area, and by nature the landlords and the tenants don't care. I'd bet if you offered to help, their yards might get cleaned up too. (or you can always call the city code enforcement and complain anonymously. They'll get on the case ASAP. AND IT"S THE SAME NUMBER TO CALL FOR GRAFITTI REPORTING 229-6615



Check out the lines of this mid-mod classic! You can drive by it on 8th Place off of Oakey.

Like my house, the facia boards were set an an angle back towards the house. I know of 5 others in the neighborhood with slanted facias and am researching who built them. Any of the lifelong owners have an idea? (and to think...at 7am this morning this yard was covered with knee high weeds!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for you (and your neighbors)
What was the purpose of the slanted fascia boards? Did it have any practical reason, or was it just cool?